Sure Enough

Welcome to my search for happiness and sanity in a city that is crazier than I ever imagined.

Whoever said "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere" wasn't kidding.







Friday, August 10, 2012

The One That Got Away

Where do I begin with this response to my normal “seeking quiet studio or 1 bedroom” ad... -----Original Message----- Subject: $2000 Quiet Studio or 1 Bedroom Wanted-Upper West Side (Upper West Side) Hi.   I have an apartment on 72nd St @ Columbus. I can show it to you today. The rent is $1950 month. This is a two bedroom apartment with 1 and a half bathrooms. My father (88 yr old retired journalist) uses the 2nd bedroom and half bath a few hours a day for a few days a week. You would have the place to yourself every night and most weekends. And full use of the full bathroom.   Pre-war, doorman, two elevators plus service elevator. Laundry in basement.   Let me know if you want to see it today. I have to leave to the airport at 5pm, so I can show it up to 4:30..   thanks, A My office mate encouraged me to respond. It didn’t take much encouragement. To: A. Subject: Re: $2000 Quiet Studio or 1 Bedroom Wanted-Upper West Side (Upper West Side) Hi A, Sorry I can't make it today to see the apartment, but I cannot get out of work. I'm curious. . .where is your father the rest of the time? What does "most weekends" mean, and who else would be joining me when I don't have the place to myself? What building is it? Thank you, C. Here’s the response. . . My dad lives with his wife on West End Ave. No one else would have access to the apartment, so it is all yours when he is not using the 2nd bedroom as his office. As for the weekends, he initially told me he doesn't use the office on the weekends, but I have since learned that he occasionally needs to swing by to get something or check email... but I can ask him to minimize that, and to be sure to let you know if he needs to come by during the weekend if that would be better for you. The apartment is on the 7th floor at 41 W72nd St. Doorman building currently remodeling the lobby. 2 elevators, plus one service elevator. laundry in the basement.   I head back to SF this evening, but if you want to see the place and meet my dad, I can arrange that.   thanks, A.     I really wanted to see this apartment and meet the old man, but my office mate talked me out of it. Just my luck, he’d have a heart attack, expose himself, or something else horrific would happen. I’m tempted to write to him and see if it’s still available. I really want to see this apartment. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment