Sure Enough

Welcome to my search for happiness and sanity in a city that is crazier than I ever imagined.

Whoever said "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere" wasn't kidding.







Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Starbucks, Hanukkah, and Holiday Gift

Because tonight is the first night of Hanukkah, I decided to splurge and was rewarded with the most unusual misspelling of my name ever in the history of my Starbucks addiction.  Today the barista wrote the name "Sherrya" on my Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte cup, in exquisite handwriting. She drew a pretty heart as an added bonus. The cup looked so nice I didn't really mind her mistake.  I can't believe that I bought a gift card so I could try to win that contest, Starbucks for Life.  If I am lucky enough to win (dream on), I wonder how they'll spell my name on the card. Upon reading the fine print, I noticed that it isn't really for life; it's only for thirty years. After the expiration of thirty years, do they send someone out to kill you?

I surprised Aissata, my home health aide, with a holiday gift. I sent a pair of earrings to myself and asked her to open the envelope for me. Inside was a note  thanking her for everything she does for me. The expression on her face, a combination of happiness and shock, was priceless.  We both had tears in our eyes. It was a moment that neither of us will forget. In my hundred forty eight years of gift giving, I have never felt this good about a gift.  It made me wonder if my reaction was so powerful because of everything I've been through in the past three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment