Sure Enough

Welcome to my search for happiness and sanity in a city that is crazier than I ever imagined.

Whoever said "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere" wasn't kidding.







Monday, June 6, 2016

Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving

It was almost Thanksgiving when inside my head
My jawbone was throbbing; my poor tooth was dead

The referral was made by the dentist with care
I wondered if I should just run out of there

Instead I was nestled right into a room
While visions of dollar signs pointed to doom

The assistant took x-rays while I held my finger
The TV had cable, which helped me to linger

When out in the hall there arose such a clatter
I squirmed in the chair, wondering what was the matter

Away to the window I flew like a flash
I wrote out a check; said goodbye to my cash

When what to my terrified eyes should appear
But a bunch of machines, drills, and torturous gear

With the best endodontist, so brilliant and bright
I knew in a moment it would be all right

More rapid than eagles his instruments came
And he whistled and shouted and called them by name

Now Forceps, now Tweezers, Let’s go, Novacaine!
On Apex Locator, get rid of her pain!

To the edge of her mouth; to the last tooth of all
Now drill away, drill away! Drill ‘till you fall!

So up to my chair the instruments came
With the savior (ever try to fit “endodontist” twice into a holiday
rhyme?), who smiled and told me his name

And then in a twinkling I heard in my mouth
The whirring and buzzing of roots going south



He was dressed all in scrubs, from his head to his feet
He performed flawlessly, without missing a beat

His eyes; how they twinkled! His dimples. . . don’t ask
I couldn’t be sure – he was wearing a mask

He was patient and nice as he worked very late
While I watched the news and pondered my fate

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread

He spoke a few words, asked if I was okay
He completed the treatment, then called it a day

He gave me a Motrin, and a script for narcotic
Which I filled despite fear I’d be rendered psychotic

And giving a nod, to reception we went
My tooth finally filled; my money well spent

A thought came to mind after we thanked each other
Heredity sucks; I have teeth like my mother

And I heard him exclaim as he moved out of sight
“I’ll see you next week, please take care when you bite”



THANK YOU, DR. L !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment